Thursday, July 27, 2017

How To: Single Panel LED Sign


Morning everyone! Welcome back to my blog Rustic DIY Projects! This week's project is pretty much almost exactly like the post I put up a few weeks ago with one key difference, this only uses one panel and not four. Since I plan on selling these one day it occurred to me that maybe not everyone wants a big giant LED sign on their wall and that maybe they'd prefer something similar but just a little bit smaller. So I decided I'd make a single panel sign with a navy theme. I also took better pictures detailing the process on this project so hopefully that'll help fill in the blanks on any questions you may have had left over from the last project. So without further delay let's get into it.

Supplies/Tools Needed
Drill
Impact Drill
Router
Router Table
1/4" Straight Flute Router Bit
CNC Machine
Forstner Bit
Kreg Jig
Kreg Screws x 21
Common Board x 2 (from Home Depot)
1/4" birch plywood
Brown Rustoleum Spray Paint
Clamps x infinity (because you can never have too many clamps)

Step One
So just like last time, I thought up an image I wanted to carve out, looked up some clip-art related to the image, altered it to look the way I wanted it to and then input it to my CNC machine. Using some 1/4" birch plywood I was able to make the image you see below. I used some sanding sponges to sand off all the splintery edges and make it smooth. Next I cut some common boards to 16" and mitered the corners at a 45 degree angle.

Step Two
Using a 1/4" straight flute bit I routed a .5" deep dado into each of the mitered edges. This holds the panel in nice and snug. Usually it would be best to glue these in place then brad nail them together but like I said in my last LED sign post, I want to be able to swap these panels out in the future if I feel so inclined to so I just secured everything together with Kreg Screws. Also it helps to have a strap clamp hand for mitered corners. otherwise keeping them in place when you screw everything together can be a pain in the ass.



Step Three
Now for the box! Since this is a single panel sign the box will be way smaller than the last one was. This box was only 15" x 13.5". So I made those four cuts then kreg screwed everything together for the box and then I secured that one last board along the inner top edge for the saw tooth mounting bracket (left this pic out on my last sign project).

Note: So now that it's hung up I'm sort of realizing that the board for the mounting bracket should have been inset about 1/4" so that it's not hanging slightly off the wall... I'm not going to change mine because I'm very busy and I just don't care that much really, but if you're ever going to try something like this, it's just something to consider. Because the light from the LEDs will bleed through the back which doesn't look all that great...

Step Four
Also forgot to put a pic of this part too on the last LED sign project so here it is! I used a forstner bit to drill a hole in the bottom of the box in order to fit the LEDs through. Then after doing that I secured the receiver to the bottom (inside the box) using nails. As long as the little RF receiver thing is hanging outside there shouldn't be any issue with it communicating with the remote.


Step Five
Found a spot to hang it and with the exception of some of the light bleeding through the back end it's looking good!


Also comes in Navy Blue!... Well close anyways.


Hope you enjoyed my "How To" on how to make this awesome wall decoration! Feel free to share this link with any of your other friends you think may be interested! Also don't forget to like, share, and follow me on social media! And don't be afraid to share what you made either! I like to see what kind of cool stuff other people come up with! And if you have any questions, concerns, or remarks you're more than welcome to leave a comment in the comment tab or my email if you want to do so more personally!

Follow me on Facebook to stay up to date with all my latest news and projects @

And don't forget to check out my Pinterest page too @

Plenty more cool stuff to come so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment